To create a new file, Win-Test first shows the classical dialog box, allowing to give a name and a path to this file. The default extension is .wtb, which you must respect if you write it.
Once the file is created, the contest parameters must be captured in the following dialog box :
"Station" parameters :
- Callsign : The one used during the contest. Do not specify the departement (REF contest), or the zone number in this field ! On the other hand, the potential /P, /M or /MM must be specified.
- Locator : Mandatory for a VHF contest. Optional but useful for an HF contest (this will allow to get accurate beam headings or sunrises/sunsets)
- Exchange : Type your zone, your state, your departement... according to the contest you will run. For example, for a CQWW DX contest, specify your WAZ zone. Let this box empty if the sent report is a serial number (for the WPX, for example). If there is a domestic and a DX side in the contest, specify DX if it is your case. Ex : For the ARRL DX, if you are not W ot VE, you must type DX. The power you will send will be taken from the "power" box (see below). NB : The exchange is what Win-Test will send in the CW/RTTY mode.
- Name : The one of the callsign's owner.
- Address : You have 3 free lines to give the address of the station. Keep the last one to specify your zip code and town, as well as your country for an international contest.
"Contest" parameters :
- Contest : The contest you will run. Multipliers and dupes checking, points counting etc... will depend on this choice. Please be careful ! Regarding VHF contests, Win-Test supports 2 "generic" contests : "European VHF" and "European VHF (gridsquare counting as multiplier)". These 2 contests will be compatible with the vast majority of the minor contests having the same points counting.
- Category : Choose the category in which you will participate. Check in the rules that the corresponding category really exists in the specified contest !
- Overlay : Some contests rules show overlays. Check in the rules that the corresponding overlay really exists in the specified contest !
- Mode : Choose the mode in which you will participate. Check in the rules that the corresponding mode really exists in the specified contest !
- Power : Your effective power, compulsory for the ARRL DX, on the DX side. Do not type the W unit ! However, if your allowed to transmit more than 1 kW, specify KW.
- Class : Choose your power class.
- Operators : Type the operators list. To get a strict compatibility with the cabrillo format, leave a simple free space between 2 callsigns.
"Network" parameters :
- Station name : Useful if you are running Win-Test in a network. All the computers in the network must have different names. Use eloquent names to easily recognize a computer in the status window.
- Enable time distribution in network : Useful if you are running Win-Test in a network. In order to synchronize the time of the QSO recordings, one computer (and only one) must be declared "time master".