Getting ready for a RTTY Contest
This article describes how to set up a Kenwood TS-850, a microHAM USB II Interface and accompanying software for use during a RTTY contest. This should give you some idea on what areas to look at when you are going for this relatively complex scenario.
This is a step-by-step approach with a little test at the end of each step to make sure things are working on the lower level before we go up to the next. I wrote it down after a number of debug sessions at various locations, where a lot of hair was torn out.
Kenwood TS-850 settings
- Low Tones
- What does it mean?
- Why do we want low tones and not high tones?
microHAM USB Interface II
- Audio Level
mircoHAM USB Device Router
- Virtual Ports
- Don't use same port for radio control PTT/CW/FSK switching - use two different ones, like COM5 and COM6
- Testing PTT, CW and FSK
- Low Tones
- Test Receiving signals
- FSK - why do we want it?
- cleaner signals
- reference to AA5BT's excellent articles
- Download and Install
- Configure and Test
- Configure MMTTY - TX and Misc submenu
- Radio Control from MMTTY - don't!
- Start up MMTTY
- Configure MMTTY.EXE startup path
- Configure Radio Control